We use the symbolism of our crest and motto to remind us of the origins of our school and our relationship with the local community in which we live and work.
The cross represents the life of Jesus and the new life he shares with us today. Jesus is the guiding light for the way we live.
The hills represent the Darling Ranges that surround the school. The brown is the bauxite areas that are mined and also a symbol of the brown habit once worn by the Josephite Sisters who started the school in 1930. The river represents the Murray River that is part of the area and an essential local waterway. In our Christian faith it is also a symbol of life living with Jesus.
The Motto - Faith and Trust
Together we are developing our faith and trust in God. We are learning to share this with one another.
History of Saint Joseph’s School
The Sisters of Saint Joseph started a boarding and day school in Jarrahdale in 1925 but as the timber mill at Jarrahdale closed in 1929 the Sisters followed the camps of the railway workers and road makers to Pinjarra.
On the 24th April 1930, Father John Lunch transported Sister Anthony Little, Sister Gerarda Gallagher, Sister Florentine Byrne, Emma the cook and Fluff the dog, in his car to Pinjarra. Each of the sisters “nursed” a statue; Our Lady, the Sacred Heart and St Joseph.
On 28th April 1930, the Sisters opened a school in the building now used as the Anglican Hall in Canon Avenue. In 1932, the school was moved to the Sisters’ cottage in James Street.
In 1934 the school moved to its present day position after Mrs Perret (a friend of the Sisters) bought land in Camp Road and donated it to the Sisters.
In 1935 the Sisters held the first Bushie School in Pinjarra, which is where children from outlying areas were brought in and prepared for the Sacraments.
In 1954, a three-roomed brick and tile school was erected and officially opened by Archbishop Prendiville and Father Rupert Kelly, who was the parish priest at the time.
At the close of school in 1967 the Post Primary grades were discontinued but a day school for Years 1-7 was staffed solely by the Sisters until October of 1968 when Mrs Dalton became the first lay teacher (not belonging to a religious order, ie; sister, brother or priest) at the school.
1998 saw the last of the teaching Sisters of Saint Joseph, Sister Maree Ridler, leave our school and in 1999, Shaun O’Neill was the first Lay Principal. In recent years we have not had a Parish Priest, but were lucky to have Sr Maureen as our Parish Administrator. We are very fortunate to now have a parish priest.
Over the years, the school has continued to grow and now 234 students attend St Joseph’s School from 3 Year Olds to Year Six.